There are a variety of marketing tools a business can use to engage customers, increase conversions, and drive sales. While you are likely familiar with more common strategies, like SEO, there may be other areas that could use some fine-tuning.
For instance, the landing page is an oft-overlooked web page that companies can leverage to convert site visitors into leads.
But what are the features of a high-converting landing page? If you’re curious, this guide is for you.
What Is a Landing Page?
In the primordial days of the internet, a landing page was just another webpage that stored specific information about the company. But with time, its role has narrowed in scope.
Today, a modern landing page is a standalone web page that’s built for a specific marketing campaign. It’s the place a site visitor will land after they’ve clicked a link, whether via email, a paid-ad, or social media.
Landing pages have a singular intent—to incite site visitors to perform an action. That action could be to sign up for a newsletter, provide contact information, or something further down the sales funnel. Common uses of landing pages include:
- Opt-in pages
- Blog post pages
- PPC campaign pages
- Welcome home pages
Across all industries, the average landing page conversion rate is 9.7%.
Features of High-Converting Landing Pages
So, you know what a landing page is. But what does it look like? What common features help it perform well?
Here are some elements that all of your landing pages should include:
- A clear CTA – At its essence, every landing page should serve as a call to action. But you also want to be sure to have a specific CTA that clearly states what it is you want the visitor to do. Otherwise, it won’t serve its purpose. As Search Engine Journal notes, common CTAs include:
- Call Now
- Learn More
- Get Quote
- File Claim
- Begin Application
- Contact me
- Chat Now
- Compelling copy – At the heart of any content strategy lies the copy. The on-page writing must be compelling if you want to ensure that the visitor not only reads what’s in front of them, but also acts according to your wishes. For landing pages, compelling copy should:
- Be precise and to the point
- Include a strong headline
- Focus on benefits rather than solutions
- Be readable, with plenty of white space and visual tools
- Creative design – Landing pages don’t have to be boring. In fact, they shouldn’t be. If you want to capture the reader’s attention, a creative design matters deeply. There should be visual consistency between text and images, contrasting colors, easy to locate buttons, and simple page designs.
- Not the homepage – All landing pages are web pages, but not all web pages make good landing pages. Put simply, landing pages are supposed to be campaign specific. And yet, far too many companies instead direct visitors to their home page. In fact, 44% of clicks for B2B companies are directed to the business’ homepage, rather than a special landing page. If you’re doing that, you’re missing out on a massive opportunity to direct the interested reader toward a specific action.
Semgeeks—Content Creation Services that Convert
A landing page should serve a sole purpose—convert visitors. But for that to happen, you need to make sure that there’s a clear CTA, the copy is compelling, the landing page has a creative design with visual elements, and that you don’t ever use the homepage.
Need help creating landing pages for your marketing campaigns?
The Semgeeks team can assist! Whether they’re tied to your SEO or PPC efforts, we can partner with you to build high-converting landing pages.
What does our iterative content process look like? Let’s talk!
WordStream. What’s a Good Conversion Rate? (It’s Higher Than You Think). https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/03/17/what-is-a-good-conversion-rate
Search Engine Journal. What Makes a Good Landing Page: Calls to Action. https://www.searchenginejournal.com/landing-page-calls-to-action/379692/#close
Hub Spot. Why Landing Pages Are an Indispensable Part of Marketing. https://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/32566/why-landing-pages-are-an-indispensable-part-of-marketing.aspx
Do you want to learn how to...
- Drive leads to conversion
- Master audience segmentation
- Get the most out of your ad spend
- Optimize your website for success
Gain access to this & more now!
Fill out your information below to gain access to insight.
No thanks, I’d rather miss out.